White-eyed freshwater fish of the carp family. Inhabits the basins of the Black, Azov and Caspian seas. In addition to the main habitat of the white-eye is found in the river Volkhov and the Volkhov lip of Ladoga lake. Sometimes found in the rivers of Vychegda and the Northern Dvina.
Food of adult fish are larvae of chironomids and other insects, mollusks, and vegetation. In the Aral sea in its diet dominated by amphipods.
The white-eye caught mainly bottom and float fishing in the summer, with a float or a nod in winter. This is a fairly cautious fish, so the snap in any case should be sufficiently thin and sensitive. There are reports of the capture of the white-eye weighing up to 1100
White-eyed is a typical river fish. Adults hold deep stretches of the river discharge, fry for some time kept in the shallow waters around the former spawning grounds. Are mostly small white-eye flocks. The autumn leaves downstream to overwinter in deep holes, and in the early spring climb up the rivers to spawning grounds.
Spawns in may in rivers with relatively low water temperature of 8-9°C.
Reaches a length of 30 cm with a mass of 800 g. Differs from bream less high body and large eyes with the iris of a silvery color. Back bluish green, sides silvery. All fins are grayish, the ends of the dorsal and caudal fins dark. The lower lobe of the caudal fin much longer than upper. Because of the long anal fin is similar to Zope, but differs from it in blunt snout, the position of the mouth and larger scales. Before spawning and during spawning, the males acquire a breeding plumage in the form of white pearl rash on the head and body.
1. According to the observations of many fishermen, the best bite of the white-eye in summer, observed after one to two weeks after spawning.
2. As the head donkey, you can use maggots, spitted on the hook № 6-7 with a short shank five or six large larvae. Maggots clearly visible in the water, especially with the fluctuation of the leash on the course.
3. Catching the white-eyed throughout the winter, but on small rivers in January nibble inactive, in the active phase, it goes at the end of February or early March. Winter is the most active diurnal biting starts from 10am and lasts up to 17 hours.
4. Fast for the maggots soon enough become useless, then, a silicone simulated larvae or Styrofoam balls.
5. If ice fishing after a few bites of the white-eyed stops to take, should look elsewhere, but be sure to return to “cool” the hole in an hour and a half. Often the fish begins to take on a “rested”” hole.
6. White-eye prefers smooth, soft, steady flow of jigs and loves to attack the bait at the stage of slow lowering.
7. If the fish is inactive, but likely worth it under the hole, it often helps to receive the tapping of the jig along the bottom.
8. In summer and winter when fishing for white-eye and works well with bottom rigging with fishing line, sinkers moving inside, since these apparatus are most sensitive to cautious bites.
9. When fishing for white-eye on a strong current possible samorodnitsky, and in quieter places you need to be very careful and to strike immediately at any movement of the float. To raise the fish to the surface as soon as possible, otherwise she’ll scare the whole pack.
10. White-eyed — brave, quick and careful fish, so close to waterways is not appropriate. The best places for fishing are the rapids with strong current,sand and gravel bottom.